Tuesday, October 30, 2012 | Party Time
By guest blogger Julia Cohen
Planning a spooky soiree? These time-saving, budget-friendly tips can help you get more fright for your buck—even if you’ve waited until the last minute!
- Make a guest-list and use it as a guide for the space you will need to accommodate.
- Email invitations and/or create a Facebook event page as soon as possible. Make sure to include the theme (if you have one) and specify whether or not guests should wear costumes.
- Popular theme ideas include: Rocky Horror Picture Show, Murder Mystery, Historical Figures, Masquerade Ball, The 50s, Dead Rock Star Party.
- Set up a buffet of Halloween-themed snacks and beverages. “Finger cookies” and gummy worms in chocolate “dirt” are always popular dishes.
- Decorate with anything from crepe paper streamers and balloons to creepy (and cost-effective) spider webs. For a gory bathroom, replace your shower curtain with a clear vinyl liner. Put slash marks in it and cover the tub and curtain in fake blood.
- Find some smoky jazz music to play throughout your home that has a dark, gritty feel to it. The soundtrack to, “Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me” is a good example.