Sunday, September 30, 2012 | Tips & How-Tos
The impact of a healthy diet doesn’t stop at slim physique. Incorporating foods high in antioxidants and healthy fats can make as much a difference in your skin’s appearance as your waistline. Here are five easy ways to eat for a better complexion!
- Go Mediterranean with fish, tomatoes, red wine and olive oil. The omega-3 fatty acids in fish help nourish skin cell membranes, while the antioxidants in olive oil, tomatoes and red wine help block damaging free radicals.
- Goodbye White. Get rid of the refined sugar, white bread and pasta, which can increase the stress hormone cortisol linked to breakouts.
- Good Fat? It’s true. Your skin needs some fat, especially the good kind found in nuts and avocado. Unsaturated fats help the body absorb complexion-friendly antioxidants and strengthen cell membranes.
- Resistant Starch. Piling your plate with RS foods, like bananas and sweet potatoes, boosts metabolism and keeps you feeling fuller longer, which steers you clear of skin-damaging fat and sugar-packed snacks.
- Berry Pretty. Fruit favorites, like blueberries and raspberries, contain powerful antioxidants that can help neutralize the free radicals that contribute to wrinkles, brown spots and other signs of aging.